Red Bull Theater
New York, NY 10011
Director of Development
Red Bull Theater (currently represented Off-Broadway with The Metromaniacs) is seeking an entrepreneurial, results-driven, fundraising professional to lead and execute our fundraising strategy.
The Director of Development will be a new full-time leadership position at Red Bull Theater, New York City’s home for dynamic performances of great plays that stand the test of time. Red Bull Theater produces revivals of rarely seen classic plays and new works that are in conversation with the classics.
The company is seeking an exceptional individual who can play a vital role in ensuring the theatre’s continued success and sustainable growth. The Director of Development will work in close partnership with the Founder and Artistic Director, Managing Director, Trustees, Staff, Artists, and Volunteers to achieve the fundraising goals of the organization.
The Director of Development is responsible for cultivating relationships and executing the strategic direction, coordination and implementation of all fundraising efforts including annual giving and unique campaigns. Collaboration and positive visibility are both essential components to the success of the role.
RED BULL THEATER delights and engages the intellect and imagination of audiences. A home for artists, scholars and students, we strive to make our work accessible, diverse, and welcoming to all theatergoers. The company takes it name from the rowdy Jacobean playhouse that illegally performed plays in England during the 12 years of Puritan rule, and was the first London theater to reopen after the Restoration. This bold spirit is central to our identity. Educational as well as entertaining, our work keeps a rich and vital tradition thriving.
Founded in 2003, Red Bull Theater has been acclaimed by The New York Times as “a dynamic producer of classic plays” and by Time Out as “the most exciting classical theater in New York.” Red Bull Theater regularly produces Off-Broadway at venues such as the Lucille Lortel Theatre and The Duke on 42nd St. The company has a 3 full-time and 2 part-time staff. Our annual operating budget is $1.5M and our annual fundraising goal is $600K. The company is now very well-positioned to build upon recent successes with a strong Director of Development towards greater sustainability of current activities and future growth.
- Creating and implementing the annual development plan and strategy, and executing day-to-day initiatives;
- Researching and implementing strategies to maintain and secure new avenues of support—with an emphasis on individual major gifts and prospect research
- Leading and managing overall development efforts to meet Annual Fund goals
- Working with Board leadership to strengthen fund development initiatives
- Actively participating in and managing relationships with current and potential donors at all giving levels;
- Leading and overseeing all aspects of development including corporate, foundation, government and individual donors
- Maintaining and fostering positive relationships with Red Bull Theater Trustees
- Serving as the staff representative on the development committee, among others;
- Developing and managing the Board’s fundraising capacity;
- Developing and monitoring the development department’s budget;
- Serving as a member of the senior management team;
- Engaging in strategic planning for the company’s overall fiscal health and future;
- Representing the theatre as an advocate and spokesperson in the wider community;
- Developing new corporate sponsorships and maintaining government funding;
- Spearheading annual gala and cultivation events;
- Collaborating on marketing efforts in relation to fundraising;
- Partnering with the Board of Trustees, presenting at and helping guide board meetings;
- Managing staff, consultants and volunteers working on various aspects of the organization's fundraising and development activities.
Qualified candidates will have at minimum a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent professional experience), 3-7 year’s experience in fundraising at a senior management level, and evidence of a strong commitment to theatre and the arts. Successful candidates will also possess strong leadership skills and have demonstrated abilities in the following areas:
- A commitment to the mission of Red Bull Theater
- Proven track record of achieving contributed revenue goals;
- Success in running a major annual fund and giving campaigns;
- High energy, positive attitude, flexibility, teamwork, and attention to detail;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to exhibit a thorough understanding of strategic development;
- Strong verbal communication skills and a demonstrated ability to write and speak clearly and persuasively;
- The ability to identify, cultivate, and manage new prospects;
- Strong partnership-building and event planning skills;
- Thorough understanding of all components of a diversified funding base;
- Excellent computer skills and knowledge of fundraising database programs;
- Depth of personal credibility in fundraising, and ability to exercise professional discretion and confidentiality;
- Knowledge of the role and interrelationship of key theatre stakeholders;
- Ability to effectively relate to a diverse range of people, including those in executive and community leadership positions;
- Ability to challenge status quo thinking and assumptions;
- Skill in fostering innovation, and ability to see new opportunities and position the theatre to exploit opportunities to increase contributed income;
- Knowledge of the funding community and funding leaders;
- Minimum of 5 years of full-time high-level development experience, preferably in the arts;
- Strategic thinker with donor cultivation experience;
- Expertise in board development;
- Strong organizational abilities with attention to detail;
- Adept at working independently, collaboratively, and multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment;
- Track record of successful grant writing.
ABOUT RED BULL THEATER
Red Bull Theater serves adventurous theatergoers with OFF-BROADWAY PRODUCTIONS, REVELATION READINGS, and the annual SHORT NEW PLAY FESTIVAL. The company also offers outreach programs including SHAKESPEARE IN SCHOOLS bringing professional actors and teaching artists into public school classrooms, BULL SESSIONS, free post-play discussions with top scholars, and MASTER CLASSES in classical actor training led by veteran theater professionals.
In our 15-year history, Red Bull Theater has produced 17 Off-Broadway Productions and over 150 Revelation Readings of rarely seen classics, serving 5,000 artists and providing quality artistic programming to an audience of 65,000. The company’s unique programming has received ongoing critical acclaim, and has been recognized with Lortel, Drama Desk, Drama League, Calloway, Off Broadway Alliance, and Obie nominations and Awards.
Read more at http://www.redbulltheater.com/about
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
Red Bull Theater is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Red Bull Theater values and practices inclusiveness and diversity in all of its activities, on our stage, in our audience, on our staff, and within our leadership, including employment practices, board and volunteer recruitment, and programs.
Competitive and commensurate with experience. We anticipate offering a salary in between $65-78,000. Compensation includes package of health, dental and pension benefits.
Email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com. Include “Director of Development” in the subject line of your email. Please include detailed cover letter, 3 references and compensation requirements. No phone calls please.