The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
Freelance (Part-Time) Audio Engineer - Joe’s Pub at The Public
Joe’s Pub is looking for an audio engineer to mix and run live sound for Joe’s Pub performances. Joe’s Pub at The Public is an independent, non-profit music venue dedicated to supporting performing artists at every stage in their careers. We play a vital role in fulfilling The Public Theater’s mission to serve audiences and artists alike as an active member of New York City’s creative community. Every evening we pair vibrant culture with genuine hospitality.
· Work with Production Manager to meet expectations and standards of sound quality and aesthetic
· Set-up stage and audio needs for each show and during change-over between shows according to artist requirements as advanced with Production Manager and any last-minute changes
· Attend sound checks and set appropriate levels to mix a high-quality sounding performance, while being able to mix live without sound check if necessary
· Work closely with artists, lighting designer, board operator, performance coordinator, and front of house staff to ensure that the 2-3 shows each night run successfully
· Act as one of two main points of contact with artist on the day of performance during afternoon sound check
· Conduct stage changeover quickly and efficiently between shows including moving amps, drum-set, backline and baby grand piano
· 5+ years’ experience mixing and running live sound, ideally in a music club setting, in a variety of genres and configurations
· Must be willing to work nights and weekends
· Ability to communicate clearly
· Outgoing, hospitable and welcoming personality
· Ability to troubleshoot under pressure
· Ability to lift 75 pounds
· Highly organized, detail-oriented, strong independent work ethic
· Ability to exhibit discretion and professionalism with high profile artists
· Ability to move baby grand piano on/off stage (on dolly with wheels – No lifting required)
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is a Non-Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and available immediately.
Please send resume and cover letter to: Jon Shriver, Production Manager of Joe’s Pub at The Public Theater, 425 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003 email@example.com