The Public Theater
New York, NY 10003
Freelance (Part-Time) Lighting Designer - Joe’s Pub at The Public
Joe’s Pub is looking for additional experienced lighting designers and board operators to join the existing lighting team. Joe’s Pub at The Public is an independent, non-profit music venue, dedicated to supporting performing artists at every stage in their careers. We play a vital role in fulfilling The Public Theater’s mission to serve audiences and artists alike, as an active member of New York City’s creative community. Every evening, we pair vibrant culture with genuine hospitality.
· Work with Head Lighting Designer to conform to standard Joe’s Pub lighting aesthetic as per Look Book
· Collaborate with visiting artists/producers/directors to create appropriate visual elements for live performances
· Attend sound checks and update moving light focus points and write light cues as needed to implement during live shows
· Run the light board live or based on cues written in a script or called by a stage manager (when applicable)
· Set up and record archival video of every show, and set up and start YouTube stream when requested, while periodically monitoring video feed throughout show to maintain appropriate lighting levels for broadcast
· Set up and execute minimal projection elements when required (via Keynote or QLab)
· Assist in loading piano on and off stage, setting up music stands and maintaining stand lights, coordinating AV components, general stage set-up and placement of chairs, tables, etc.
· Perform additional duties as assigned
· 5+ years’ experience designing and running a light board for live performances in a variety of genres and configurations
· Must be willing to work nights and weekends
· Outgoing, hospitable and welcoming personality
· Ability to troubleshoot under pressure
· Strong communication skills
· Highly organized, detail oriented, strong independent work ethic
· Ability to exhibit discretion and professionalism with high profile artists
· Ability to move baby grand piano on/off stage (on dolly with wheels – No lifting required)
· Experience with moving lights, proficiency on ETC Ion Light Board, strong programming skills a plus
· Basic computer skills (Mac preferred)
· QLab experience a plus; if not experienced with QLab, must be willing to attend training
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
This is a Non-Exempt position, according to the Fair Labor Standards Act and available immediately.
Please send resume and cover letter to: Alex Knowlton, Associate Director of Joe’s Pub at The Public Theater, 425 Lafayette Street, New York, NY 10003 firstname.lastname@example.org