Caramoor Center for Music and the Arts
Katonah, NY 10536
Title: House Manager
Supervisor: Audience Services Manager
Employment Type: FT, non-exempt
Compensation: Compensation commensurate with experience
References: 3 required
Works closely with: Box Office Manager, Artistic, Special Events, Rosen House, Marketing.
The House Manager serves as the primary point of contact for all visitors to Caramoor and is responsible for providing the highest level of customer service. The House Manager is responsible for the proper setup of multiple performance venues. Caramoor is open year-round, with many events held on nights and weekends.
Job Duties & Responsibilities:
· Customer Service – Provide all visitors with the highest level of customer service, so as to make their visit to Caramoor as easy and enjoyable as possible.
o Front of House: Oversee the entry and seating of all visitors in a timely manner prior to the beginning of a performance. Work with the Box Office Manager on audience needs, including accessibility and personal preferences. Supervise the audience throughout the performance and enforce venue policies and safety procedures.
o Visitor Services: Engage with visitors and communicate Caramoor’s history and mission. Provide walking tours and explanations of venues and programming. Assist the Box Office team with staffing, when necessary.
o Box Office: Cross train with Box Office Manager in order to provide personnel coverage.
o Seasonal Staff and Volunteers: Direct staff and volunteers in the preparation of venues and assisting visitors. Develop, implement, and evaluate customer service training materials, incorporating Caramoor’s mission and values. Manage recruitment, scheduling, and communications to 200+ volunteers.
· Operations & Venues – Serve as a key party in managing the setup, safety, and appearance of venues and public spaces.
o Front of House: Work with the Stage Manager, Production team, and Artistic staff on backstage theater calls and logistics.
o Venue Management: Prepare and maintain all venues to receive visitors, with particular focus on seating, accessibility, safety, and aesthetic.
o Facilities: Work with the Facilities crew on identifying and eliminating safety hazards and making sure all spaces are clean and ready to receive visitors.
o Operational & Promotional Materials: Work with the Facilities and Marketing teams to provide the clearest and most helpful materials and signage to Caramoor’s visitors.
o Information Management: Provide information regarding event operations to all necessary staff members (pre- and post-event) through written reporting and relevant databases (Spektrix, OPAS)
o Emergency Response: Serve as the primary contact inside venues for any emergency response teams, including Fire, Police, EMS, and private security. The House Manager, while not ultimately responsible for the supervision of Security & Emergency Response teams, plays a key role in any emergency response.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
· Experience and Education: Two plus (2+) years of arts/events production, arts/events administration or related experience. Bachelor’s or advanced degree in related field a plus. Command of MS Office Word and Excel.
· Management Skills: Act as a respected and trusted member the Marketing and Audience team, manage a group of volunteers with integrity and mutual respect, motivate, and inspire trust and confidence with a wide range of people representing various backgrounds and levels of experience.
· Customer Service & Communication Skills: Must have a friendly and professional attitude and work well with the public to navigate different personality types among stakeholders including, seasonal staff, visitors, VIP donors, artists, senior management team & Board of Trustees. Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
· Collaboration: Ability to work as part of the Caramoor family, in particular with the Marketing and Audience Services team, in a positive and professional manner. Willingness to be very hands-on and flexible to work on a variety of assigned tasks.
· Administrative Skills: Ability to maintain confidential information; highly organized and detail oriented with a strong work ethic. Flexibility to adapt to changing priorities and new opportunities.
· Values & Culture Fit: Demonstrated passion for music; have an appreciation for creating an environment of inspiration of music for all visitors; and have a strong commitment to Caramoor’s mission and values.
Benefits: This role is eligible for full-time benefits including medical insurance, life insurance, long term disability, retirement plan, and paid time off.
To Apply: Please submit your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “House Manager” in the subject line. We will contact candidates only being considered for the role. Please check our website for more opportunities as we are growing and new opportunities will be available. No phone calls, please.
Caramoor is a cultural landmark and non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of its audiences through innovative and diverse musical performances of the highest quality, mentoring young professional musicians, and engaging young children through interactive educational experiences that deepen their relationship to and understanding of music. It’s also a pretty great place to work. For more information about Caramoor please go to www.caramoor.com.
At Caramoor, we are committed to a fair and equitable workplace. Caramoor is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO); this means that all aspects of employment, including recruiting, advertising, hiring, training, promotions, compensation, benefits, transfers, layoffs, return from layoffs, disciplinary action and discharge shall be conducted on the basis of qualification and ability without regard to race, religion, disability, sexual orientation, color, age, gender, national origin, citizenship, marital status, military and veteran status or any other basis protected by law.