BAM (Brooklyn Academy of Music) is a multi-arts center located in Brooklyn, New York. For more than 150 years, BAM has been the home for adventurous artists,audiences, and ideas—engaging both global and local communities. With world-renowned programming in theater, dance, music, opera, film, and much more, BAM showcases the work of emerging artists and innovative modern masters.
The Development team at BAM is currently seeking a talented Major Gifts Officer who can aggressively pursue and cultivate gifts of $10,000.00 plus, to contribute to BAM’s operating budget, with a specific focus on attracting new donors for social justice, education, humanities, and cinema programs, as well as mainstage work.
We are looking for a Major Gifts Officer who:
- Has the ability to multi-task and prioritize
- Is detail oriented
- Has maturity, diplomacy, and creativity
- Is a creative problem solver
- Exhibits strong customer service skills
- Is comfortable with cold-calling, establishing relationships, and building rapport where none may previously have existed
- Shares enthusiasm for attending BAM programs
The Major Gifts Officer will be responsible for:
Major Gift Cultivation and Solicitation
- Attend meetings with donors to discuss opportunities for funding specific initiatives.
- Attend various dinners and receptions with donors to strengthen relationships.
- Call, email, and write to donors to touch base and share information.
- Prepare requests, proposals, and reports for major donors.
- Lead project and program specific campaigns as assigned.
- Identify and solicit prospective donors for BAM.
- Focus on growing BAM’s donor base beyond its traditional donor population, with an eye on the ever-changing demographics of Brooklyn and the wide variety of programming offers at BAM.
- Identify and research various individuals, segments, and business sectors for donor prospects.
- In conjunction with the AVP and major gifts team, share prospect information annually with BAM & BET Board, collect feedback, and incorporate appropriate notes into database and follow-up strategies; participate in monthly prospect meetings; and participate in cultivation and stewardship events
- Facilitate prospect cultivation opportunities for Board members and donors in conjunction with BAM programs.
- Work with staff to rate and store prospect info for periodic review, brochure mailings, cultivation, and solicitations.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- 5 years’ work experience, and at least 3 years’ experience in the cultivation, solicitation and closing of major gifts greater than $10,000
- Work experience in a the New York City market is preferable
- Advanced degree in Arts Administration, Business, Public Administration or other related field helpful
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Ability to build 1:1 relationships with existing donors and new prospects
- Intermediate knowledge of Tessitura and Microsoft Office a plus; Passionate commitment BAM’s programming and mission
- Available for evening and/or weekend work and willingness to travel
Salary: Commensurate with experience. Comprehensive benefits package including pension.
Application Instructions: must complete an online application at https://www.bam.org/about/careers/apply - no phone calls, emails or walk ins, please.
See what it's like to work at BAM on Twitter/Instagram: #SceneAtBAM